Arroz con Pollo - Chicken with Rice - Recipe
Arroz con Pollo is one of the most liked dishes in Costa Rica - besides pollo frito (fried chicken) of course...
- 1 chicken
- 3 cups rice
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1/2 cup cooked carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked string beans, sliced
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons green olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Lizano \"Salsa Ingles\" (only available in Central America)
- alternative: 2 tablespoons worcester sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil
- pinch of salt
- coriander, if you like
Cook the chicken with some of the onions, pepper, salt and 4 cups of water until it's tender. Let it rest. Strain the juice and add water to make 5 cups. Discard bones and shred the chicke. Heat up oil in a large pot and sear the rest of the onion. Add rice, vegetables, chicken with its juice. Cook until the rice is done, add raisins and olives. Add more pepper.
Preparation Time: 15 Min
Difficulty: very easy
The original recipe contains 1/4 teaspoon achiote, which are ground seeds from a local shrub. They are often used in Central America to colour food.